It's Halloween, and Superchunk have decided to release a Misfits cover to celebrate! Their version of Misfits' classic "Children In Heat" is a dead ringer for the original, with lo-fi guitar tone and unrefined vocals. They even picked up the tempo a little bit. Take a listen above via Merge Records.
Additionally, Merge has announced an exclusive subscription-based box set to celebrate their 25th anniversary next year. Called Or Thousands of Prizes, the box set will feature 12 7-inch releases throughout 2014, in addition to a bevy of bonus items.
From the Merge Records website:
Throughout 2014, subscribers will receive twelve 7-inches (split singles, mostly) on colored vinyl featuring exclusive, newly released tracks from 25 Merge artists including Superchunk, Mikal Cronin, Mount Moriah, The Mountain Goats, The Clientele, Destroyer, King Khan & the Shrines, Lambchop, and more.
In addition, subscribers will receive exclusive Or Thousands of Prizes bonus items and gear, including:
• A collector’s box to show off and organize the 7-inch collection
• An exclusive t-shirt commemorating 25 years of Merge Records
• A “surprise” bonus 12-inch
• A CD and digital download of all Or Thousands of Prizes tracks
• An updated and newly issued e-book version of our visual discography, The Merge Records Companion
• A free download of Superchunk’s Halloween cover of Misfits’ “Children in Heat” (for those who subscribe before the end of November 2013)
Or Thousands of Prizes is available for pre-order now at Merge.
Source: Merge Records Official Website