Les Claypool's Duo De Twang has just released this eccentric cover of Alice In Chains' 1991 "Man In The Box," a track off their upcoming debut LP, Four Foot Shack.
It's really strange (surprise!), but expertly done and very fun. Claypool's bouncing slap bass is joined with Bryan Kehoe's deftly plucked guitar, lilting mandolin, and an array of melodramatic vocals and whip-crack sound effects. It's an entirely Claypool take on the classic song, which is a good thing for fans of the weird and unique. Speaking to Spin about the cover, Claypool stated, "This one is a tribute to my buddy Jerry Cantrell." Take a listen above.
Four Foot Shack will be out on Prawn Song Records February 4th. You can pre-order it through iTunes now. Check out the tracklist below.
Four Foot Shack tracklist:
1. "Four Foot Shack" (Les Claypool's Duo de Twang)
2. "Wynona's Big Brown Beaver" (Primus)
3. "Amos Moses" (Jerry Reed)
4. "Red State Girl" (Les Claypool)
5. "The Bridge Came Tumblin' Down" (Stompin' Tom Connors)
6. "Boonville Stomp" (Les Claypool)
7. "Stayin' Alive" (Bee Gees)
8. "Rumble of the Diesel" (Les Claypool)
9. "Pipe Line" (The Chantays)
10. "Buzzards of Greenhill" (Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade)
11. "Hendershot" (Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade)
12. "Man in the Box" (Alice in Chains)
13. "D's Diner" (Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade)
14. "Battle of New Orleans" (Johnny Horton)
15. "Jerry Was a Race Car Driver" (Primus)
For more news, music, video, and tour dates, check out Les Claypool's Zumic artist page.