After Sacha Baron Cohen's recent departure from the planned Freddie Mercury/Queen film, Peter Morgan, the screenwriter Cohen brought in for the project, has told the BBC that the biopic is "probably not going to happen."
The news first broke in a Tweet by the BBC:
Freddie Mercury biopic writer Peter Morgan has told the BBC the film is "probably not going to happen" now Sacha Baron Cohen has pulled out.
— BBC Ents News Team (@BBCEntsTeam) September 1, 2013
Cohen, who had been on board to play the singer for three years, dropped out in July due to disagreements with the remaining members of Queen. The conflicts reportedly stemmed from the actor's desire to play a more realistic, gritty Mercury.
Although reports of the film's cancelation are as yet unconfirmed, it looks like the wheels may have fallen off what was sure to be an excellent movie, provided the Borat star steered clear of his Mankini.